Sunday February 23, 2014
Sharers In The Divine Nature
Galatians 5:22 – 6:5 – Theme: Love produced by God’s Spirit (Nature)
Born again believers have become “new creatures” in Christ and are indwelt by the Holy Spirit. Therefore they are sharers in the divine nature. With a new nature within, the fruit of the Spirit grows within believers throughout their lives. Paul exhorts the Galatians to “walk in the Spirit” and to be “led by the Spirit.” We are all to follow Christ and to walk in the light of His Word.
Read: Galatians 5:16 – 6:5
Supporting Scriptures: John 15:1 – 5; 2 Peter 1:3 – 11
Fruit of the Spirit (5:22 – 23):
1. Love – (agape) is the love of choice, not referring to an emotional or sensual feeling. This love is unconditionally devoted in self-sacrificing service.
2. Joy – a deep sense of well-being or contentment that is based on God’s character and unchanging promises and eternal realities. It has nothing to do with temporal circumstances.
3. Peace – the inner calm that results from confidence in one’s saving relationship with Christ.
4. Patience – steadfastness; the ability to endure injuries inflicted by others and a willingness to accept painful situations.
5. Kindness – tender concern for others, reflected in a desire to treat others gently.
6. Goodness – moral and spiritual excellence manifested in gentle treatment of others.
7. Faithfulness – Loyalty and consistent trustworthiness.
8. Gentleness – “meekness,’ it is a humble and gentle attitude that is patiently submissive in every offense, while having no desire for revenge or retribution.
9. Self-control – this refers to restraining passions and appetites.
– The True Vine – John 15:1 – 5
– Exceedingly great and precious promises – 2 Peter 1:3 – 11